Wednesday, December 24, 2014

RUN EUGENE RUN Update

Just a quick update on all the things involving my own personal fight with diabetes. As most all of you are aware, I have finished up six marathons this year's plus a slew of other races all adding up to 600 miles in 2014. All of this in hopes of helping control my blood sugars just a little better.

So the last time I went in to my endocrinologist in August I was dissappointed with my A1C results of 8.2 because I thought I had really been doing good with my exercise and watching what I ate. Mind you I often cheated but only moderately. I didn't think would hurt too much. But it was preventing me from loosing more weight. I was consistently weighing in around 212.

So this visit I had hoped for better results. My blood sugars had been pretty good and I was now down to around 208......and I had done so much more running!

Disappointment again. A1C was still at 8.2 but everything else was excellent. The doctor didn't see how the numbers related to because it was all looking good. Another medicine added that would use my insulin more effectively was the determination. I was giving several samples to try out along with instructions to reduce my dosage of insulin since the new medicine would work better.

The results after only a few days: My blood sugar in the morning have been really really great. Typically I'm high but over the last few days I have been in the 90s and yesterday after my run I was only 80....that rarely ever happens.......like once every two years sort of thing. So I think I might be on the right track and obviously this proves that I cannot just run and expect the blood sugar to be better. I need to truly watch my weight which means STOP CHEATING ON SNACKS!

On the running front yesterday I went for a ten mile run and ended up hitting a full 13. A great run before work. It was my fastest 13 mile pace all year with the exception of the race I ran down in the OBX in May. Not bad for a work out! The accomplishment makes you feel amazing in the morning.

Keep at it my friends. If you have any questions about your own battles with diabetes or just want to chat, feel free to write me. I'm no doctor, just a regular guy trying to figure a way to overcome all of this myself. Be sure to check with your doctor before starting up an exercise routine or changing anything. BTW, I told my doctor I was planning on running 14 marathons this year and although she though she thinks I'm crazy, she is encouraging me!

Happy holidays my friends......Who's planning on a run on Christmas morning before presents?

ET's This I Believe

0 comments:

Post a Comment