Monday, December 7, 2015

For Those About To Rock......

For those about to Rock......n Roll Marathon......we salute you!

Okay so I had a hard time coming up with a title. It was either this or Remember the Alamo.
So I will start off saying that I don't remember the Alamo......they told us we would run past it but I'm not so sure we did. If we did...I missed it. This race was great weather and perfect setting. I hoped to do a PR. I assumed it was flat.....I assumed wrong. Last six miles was a steady incline.

My wife and I arrived in San Antonio early Saturday afternoon and did our normal check in the hotel and walk over to the convention center for package pick up. I'm so glad my wife found a room downtown next to everything because that made it incredibly convenient. We could walk to everywhere.

It was the typical Rock n Rock expo as we strolled around to see if there was anything different. There was a new massage thing that looked great to work out your muscles. Expensive but then again aren't they always. My high hamstring has been bothering me for some time so I took advantage of buying it to see if it would help.....it felt great. I used it before and after the race.

Saturday evening we went down to Riverwalk area and had dinner. I ate the largest Texas Sized Ginormous Chicken Fried Steak on the planet. Not sure I recommend eating one of these before running 26.2 miles. But I did anyway.....and an apple crisp with ice cream for dessert. Again maybe that wasn't a great idea either. Early to bed and we were beat!

Let me quickly mention that I had posted my intent of hitting my goal of 12 marathons this weekend on the Miracle Morning Facebook Community page.....I received an outstanding number of responses and notes of encouragement. Over 700 likes.....that inspires me to make Run Eugene Run a successful endeavor even more.

I woke up early and ran through my miracle morning routine, yes even before a race. Got my self in order and headed to the start line. I once got really nervous about the start of a race and wanted to make sure I was there in far advance. Now I chill pretty easy. I sort of zone out.

And this is why I titled this post as ....We Salute You!:
However this time I talked to someone that was truly amazing. I didn't catch her name but she noticed my medical ID on my wrist and said, "I've got one of those too." I responded and asked what hers was for....."I have a tumor." ....whhoooo, what?! She started to explain and that she also had diabetes. Type 3. I had never heard of type 3 before and she explained that it was when a issue like a tumor causes the diabetes to kick in. That's crazy! Had your running today!

She was doing the half and was shooting for just a fun run of 2:10......that's pretty good for an old lady as she described herself and her running career. She had done several triathlons and four Ironmans. The last one when she was diagnosed improperly and had the tumor. She has ran more marathons than she could count.....ok.....I have officially met The Beast! I have nothing to complain about. This lady is now my hero.

So started off great in the race and was hitting my pace to break the 5:00:00 mark for the first 18 miles. And then there it was.....that dreaded wall. I just can't seem to push past it and my time dies off terribly. I plugged a way but couldn't keep up with the pacer. I finished and that was the best part. Got my medal and my giant Stairway to Seven Heavy Metal so I'm feeling good.

We talked to lots of people along the way after the race and at dinner. I wore the giant metal to attract attention. It did. It didn't take much to wrap up the evening after dinner and ice cream.....chatting with a young girl serving ice cream about her cross country running and her family doing a race together. Great conversations. This is why I do what I do.

Back to hotel to crash, I'm tired.

Up the next morning and we head out to breakfast and then the Alamo. Got to see the Alamo.....don't want to walk too far for shopping though. Feet aren't real friendly with me this morning. I need new running shoes.....hint hint to Saucony to be my ordinary guy sponsor.....lol. Well its worth a try.

Grab a plane and back home late......what a trip.....ready for life again.....oh wait....crazy work week....short work week.....another race in a few days.

Until next time my friends.....have a Fun Run!

Eugene Thompson
Run Eugene Run

0 comments:

Post a Comment