Sunday, October 31, 2010

It's So Spooky Out There.....

Halloween isn't quite the same it used to be for me.  I grew up pretty much loving the idea of going around the neighborhood as a kid to gather all sorts of goodies.  I would gather up as much as possible and after a long tiring haul, I would bring back the sacred booty and spread it all out across the dinning room table.....my dad would swipe some of the good pieces! Believe it or not even back then I would categorize the candy by type, size and favorites.....what a goof!

once my wife and I got together and we first had our children, we slowed down on any of this activity.  One reason was we lived in the country. In order to get a just a pocket full of candy you would have to hike several miles. It always seemed to be raining or really cold in Pennsylvania AKA Transylvania on that night so it became a hassle.  The original IONIC 6 came out of that time when I created our two oldest son's costumes from their request of merging: Power Rangers, dinosaurs, robots and superheros all together.......ah...okay. So there it was.

Later we planned events (living out in the country) to do hayrides for the church youth and offer them an alternative. We called it neewollah, (Halloween spelled backwards) instead of all the evil inspiration it was reversed and meant to be positive. Candy hunts, bobbing for apples, costume outfits that were inspired from the Bible.  It was good fun.

Once we moved here to Virginia Beach, all was put aside and we decided to avoid the holiday all together.  We bought bags of candy and ate them all ourselves, locked the front door, turned out all the lights and watched a GOOD movie while all the ghosts and goblins ran amok in our neighborhoods.

Today....our youngest is 16.  We probably wont even go buy any candy. (Too any weight watchers points!) 4 Tootsie rolls equal one point but a small miniature Baby Ruth or Snickers are two points each.  That adds up! Yes times have changed.  I don't argue much with people about what they want to do, we just stay away from it still.  However I will tell you that I do have something a bit "dark" on my bucket list......I want to visit Transylvania for real.....Yep, right in the heart of Romania.....That will scare the pants off of me if I ever get to go.  I am so weird!

With that.....stay safe my friends!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

We need pics of the original Tricera-man!

et's this i believe said...

I think that we can find the pictures and sketches for Tri-cera-Man! Watch for updates.

Post a Comment