Sunday, December 5, 2010

Tis the Season.....for a Movie!

The prelude to Christmas is about watching all the Season inspired movies you can to motivated for the holidays.  It is like smelling salts for the holidays.....one sniff and you are ready to take on Scrooge or the Grinch! I have always been a movie hound but especially like the tradition of watching the favorites during Christmas. I must say that if I feel a bit grumpy, I don't hesitate to smile while seeing one of the classics. Brings back the childhood memories.  Probably reminds me of how I forced the traditions on my kids..... "you got to see this movie....it is a classic!" To  my kids a classic meant that it was old.....and probably in black and white. They refused to watch black and white movies of any kind....oh well...I tried to teach them...lol. Regardless we watched them and I still watch them. It makes for fun and silliness which is what many of us need during the season.  Too much is wrapped up in buying for Christmas rather than sharing or caring. I think we need to remember the destination to Christmas to make the season fun rather than just the event. It takes a lot of work to make one successful....enjoy the time before time slips by too fast.

There were all types of season movies but basically four categories.
1. Claymation type movies
2. Cartoon type movies
3. Regular movie types
4. Made for TV movie types. (not my favorite)

I have favorites for each except probably the made for TV versions, such as the puppies looking for Christmas or the Lifetime versions of something or nother. Maybe it is just because I didn't grow watching those. Here is a list of some of my favorite holiday movies.....maybe I need to make a new tradition around here by watching one a day until Christmas arrives. (The kids are gone so I can control the remote!)
  • It's a Wonderful Life

  • A Christmas Story

  • The Nightmare Before Christmas

  • How the Grinch Stole Christmas (1966)

  • A Christmas Carol (1951)

  • Miracle on 34th Street - (not the remake)

  • Scrooged

  • Frosty the Snowman

  • National Lampoon's A Christmas Vacation

  • White Christmas

  • A Charlie Brown Christmas

  • The Grinch

  • The Little Drummer Boy

  • Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer 

  • The Bishop's Wife 

  • Home Alone

  • Elf

  • The Santa Clause, and the Santa Clause 2

  • The Four Christmases


  • There might be more but that is all I can think of right now. The list isn't really in any particular order.  Tell me your favorites and share your memories.  I would love to hear from you.

    Enjoy my friends. Have a Merry Christmas Season.....and DON'T SHOOT YOUR EYE OUT!

    3 comments:

    Unknown said...

    You forgot Die Hard! And Elf is hilarious even for a Will Ferrell hater like you! lol

    MelTho said...

    We just watched It's a Wonderful Life! So good! So true! And I love The Grinch! Gideon says I've seen it too much, but it's a lie!

    et's this i believe said...

    Die Hard doesnt qualify as a "christmas movie" just a movie that took place at Christmas time. There is a great quote but better not use it here as I would need to bleep most of it out.....lol.
    Mel, I love the cartoon Grinch especially knowing the fact that Boris was the voice narrating.

    Post a Comment