Monday, December 23, 2013

BLESSINGS OF FAMILY

Ken and Mary Thompson
Well this past week was one of the longest and most draining weeks I have had in a long time. A little over a week ago I learned of my mothers passing. She was 82 years old and was ready to go but that is never something you are prepared for. Certainly for all of us who are left behind, we are all sad. For her I feel that she has now some peace and is without pain. There is some consolation in that knowledge.

I do feel that there was a blessing that occurred from this loss. That was the ability to see all of our kids just before Christmas. Not everybody was going to be able to come home for the holidays this year. We were able to see each other, spend a little time and enjoy each other's company. We shared some laughs and comforted each other with hugs.

I feel blessed that I got a hug at just the right moment from my kids. I needed it to get through some of the tough times. That was certainly a comfort to me. I thank each one for being able to be there for our support.

Another blessing was the opportunity to be together with my siblings. We haven't been together in nearly 15 years. It has been such a long time. Far too long. All of our kids are grown and we have turned grey but it was so nice to share a few moments in mom's house.....even under the circumstances. Again, being able to embrace one another and comfort each other in our time of need was a blessing. I am so glad that we were able to be there together. I pray that we stay connected much better as time marches forward. 

I have neglected the opportunities to get together with the rest of my family that lives in Kansas. It was great to see my cousins and their children from my Uncle Rex and Aunt Virginia's side of the family. I remember the times we got together when I was growing up long ago. I missed out on the opportunity a few years ago to see them all at the family reunion. Something that I will not fail at again. Family is too important to miss and time is too short to waste.

There were a few moments in our brief gathering that we were able to share some stories of the old times. Opportunities for my children to finally meet the other side of their family. After one story, my Uncle Gene did one of those belly laughs that caused a flood of memories to return. It was their distinct laugh between Gene, Rex and my father that will never fade from my recollection. I love those laughs. I also was so glad that my Uncle Robert and Aunt Carol from my mother's side were there. This was another great blessing. 

A lot of sadness which was to be expected. A lot of love and sharing which will be fondly remembered. I thank everyone for their out pouring of condolences. They were very much appreciated and showed how much everyone cares. This was a tough week for me and I am sure I will struggle from time to time as certain memories hit me and I realize that now both my mother and father have gone. Knowing that I cannot ever see them face to face again, call them on the phone, sit with them, laugh with them and even cry with them.

My comfort comes from the belief that they are both together finally. Their bodies lay side by side in the cemetery in Pittsburg Kansas but their souls rare side by side in heaven......in peace.

Love you Mom and Dad......miss you both!


Eugene Thompson
ET This I Believe

0 comments:

Post a Comment