Thursday, October 21, 2010

Rocky Mountain High

How time flys! Do you feel that you just looked down a few minutes ago and saw your child pulling on your pants leg asking for something.  And then the next moment they are getting married.  Where did all the time go in between.  It just flew past us in a blur.  I want it all back, where is the Real Life Tivo so I can replay every moment! I am feeling a bit old lately.....a bit grey. Not on my head. We know that wont happen, but in my goatee.

We are in Colorado this crisp October morning for my son's wedding.  He met a lovely (equally addicted sports fanatic) in college and they have been best friends for the last three years.  Something his mother and I always told our children.  Find your best friend! He has.  We are so excited that he has taken this huge step (even though it is a young age of 21) and is allowing us into their lives.  I was married first at almost 20, so I cannot complain.  The key is finding someone he can spend his life with.  They are so amazingly similar.

I remember when he first came home for a thanksgiving break from college and we always head out to the tree farm to cut down our Christmas tree the first Saturday after Thanksgiving.  He was on the phone at the early morning hour of 7:00 which was 5:00 here in Colorado.  Pretty early! He said it was just his friend from school.  Mom said right then it couldn't be just a friend.....It was more.  Well mom is always right! And here we are three years later waiting for the the other groomsmen to fly in.
The time has past quickly, and I have always hated the song "Cats in the Cradle and the Silver Spoon" becasue it haunts me that I may not have spent enough time with my kids.  At work too much, going here or there, never getting the opportunity to have those special talks because there wasn't enough time.  I will always doubt myslef.....that's what I do.

Well it will be a happy moment and a sad one.  Happy for our son to move on in life with his help mate. Happy that they will be starting their own family, their own traditions, their own memories. Sad because it means a change in our lives.....It will never be the same. Our traditions will be be mostly memories now. I know that he will always be my little boy. Regardless, I couldn't be more proud of them......Yep.......Rocky Mountain High!

This weekend will be full of memories. Stay tuned. Talk to you soon my friends!

0 comments:

Post a Comment