Saturday, January 14, 2012

The Battlefield: Left Flank

So what is attacking us on the left side?.....or should I say what is attacking ME from the left side? Well, once I actually wake up....like I was describing in the first piece, http://etsthisibelieve.blogspot.com/2012/01/battlefield-first-front.html here. Then I have the struggle (or have in the past) with what exercise to do.  How many exercises are there? Don't ask that question.....too many! But what is right for you.

Have you seen all those crazy info mercials about the equipment they sell? Sliders, gliders, pullers, runners, weight machines, stretch machines, tension machines, tummy tighteners, thigh strengtheners, butt squeezers....(okay maybe not that one)....But come on....why so many?  Why? Because we are gullible enough to think that just because we buy it, first we will actually use it and second that it will actually work.  (like the miracle cure they are describing on television).  Have you read the fine print at the bottom? Yes, Not all results shown here are typical......Really? Come on!

Well I have been lucky enough in my earlier years to really learn alot about exercise and what works and what doesn't.  The biggest challenge really is just getting up off your butt and doing something. Do it all the time, consistently and do it often and do it with VIGOR. I used to love lifting weights.  I recently posted this picture of me back in the day when I powerlifted.  Fun, probably not right for me today.  I would more than likely leave my arms on the floor if I deadlifted that much today.  If I squatted that much, I would be a squashed piece of meat on the floor resting under all the weight...(PETA please don't protest me for saying MEAT!).  My goal these days is to have energy and get slim.

Cardio is the answer.  Create a workout that allows me to sweat a bit and get my heart rate up.  I hated running like I have mentioned but it is somewhat rewarding and provides a bit of challenge against a few others if not just against myself as I continually try to better my last time or distance. I hate the treadmill but I can run inside when it is cold (absolutely hate the cold), and I can track my time/distance with great precision. Little goals and increases are fine.

Here is another...a bit crazy.....I asked for XBOX Kinects for Christmas.  So now I can exercise and play a game or two.  I haven't mastered it all yet nor set up a routine but I am working on it.  I have played a few sports events, like football, baseball, track is good.  Even some of the FUN games are very good for creating a work out.  One of the specific exercise ones has me running through the streets of New York City and gives me history lessons of some the architecture that I run past.  Sort like running through a sketch up model!

So my recommendation? Well, not like you might care but whatever you do, just get your heart rate up and doing it regularly.  Do somethin you enjoy so you will stick to it. Heard on TV the other day about a 67 year old man that runs 4 marathons a week.......really? Okay......I have a long way to go.  My friends....stay healthy!

2 comments:

sojourner2earth said...

Ah! Good philosophy. Thanks for sharing. . . from an on-again, off-again runner and 56 year old mother of a 12 year old! Motive enough to get up and work out! lol

et's this i believe said...

Many ways to get fitness Some are routine and familar and others are unique and odd by all accounts today. As long as you get some exercise and feel that you have accomphished a "workout", then you are successful.

Post a Comment