Tuesday, February 2, 2016

The Last Marathon - The Island

Who says 13 is unlucky?

I scouted around several months ago to find another marathon since I decided to take a break in the summer. I needed one to replace those to get to the goal I had determined. You know the crazy idea that a 50 year old man with only a few years of running under his belt would attempt 13 marathons in one calendar year. Yes I know.....you and everyone else say I'm crazy. So.....I guess I'm crazy!

By the end of the this year I certainly have become worn out. I know that I cannot do a PR every race.....there are just too many. Can I say that I enjoy running? I'm not sure. Can I say I'm addicted to running? Not sure I can say that either.....I could just as easily sit my butt n the sofa and watch television. What I can say without much doubt at all is I love the challenge. I really enjoy pushing the limits. Doing something that is no the normal......because.....go ahead.....you can say it.....there is something about me that just isn't normal. That's okay....I know it. And I guess I like NOT being normal.

Kiawah Island Marathon in South Carolina was going to be the last one for 2015. I just finished San Antonio six days earlier. No PR there either....I was close.....not really. But I'd like to think I was. So I decided that this race I would just enjoy......just enjoy the run......is that even possible for me? Probably not. So to start I left my run keeper off......just music. I planned on looking up and around at all the sites to see. Would that be enough? We would see.

Well one thing I got to see was my wife. Oh of course at the starting line. Usually that is the last time I see her until the finish line. This time I saw her as she passed me......standing in line at the porta potty at mile two. It really sucks that I always have to stop so quickly in a race. I lost 7 minutes! I saw her again as I caught up once I was finished.....ran with her for a few minutes and then took off. At about mile 13 or so I was looping back and caught her heading towards me......a great high five!

And then the run run run run part. I focused on many of the magnificent homes that were out there. Some had to cost $10M. Crazy big and fancy beach cottages. I liked the way the builders, (assuming the area dictated this) how they presented a sample wall and window with siding for the projects. The builder, owner and architect's names were on a sign that was consistent for all the homes under construction.

Back to running. I didn't have my Runkeeper on but I knew where I was on time because of so many clocks along the route. They had one at nearly every mile marker. That seven minutes at the porta potty really took my time down. I had caught all the way up with the 5 hour pace group but doing that took the energy out of me to maintain. Again mile 18 I started to fade. I tried to make myself feel that this was just for fun but really....? I like to do well.

I tried to eat along the way. Part of a banana, some oranges slices etc. seeing if I could effect my strength at the end of the race. Not so much. I finished but not with a lot of vigor. Again I guess the races are getting old and the glory is fading. I need to remind myself why I am running these......to bring awareness to others.....and for myself. I'm a diabetic and this is what it takes for me to make a difference. Without the running my blood sugar would climb, my weight would get back on I wouldn't have nearly as much energy. It is a necessity. 

Number 13 finished. Another state conquered. And a great place to visit....our new destination get-a-way. I think we will do this one again. If anything for a great warm retreat in December. Next time we will plan to be here for a few more days. Less fast pace (no pun intended) race trips.

Until next year my friends.....I look forward to seeing you on the road. Remember to always have a Fun Run.

Run Eugene Run
Eugene Thompson


0 comments:

Post a Comment