Tuesday, February 2, 2016

The Body and Mind

I often question how far can we go....as human beings. It was never really a thought when I was younger. When you are young you are invincible, untreatable, immortal. The older you get the more you realize that was the most stupid thing you could have ever imagined.

So at age 50, I think.....I wonder.....how far can my body still go. Physically and mentally. I'd like to think I'm still Superman. I have a tshirt to prove it! How far will my body bend under the pressure?Where is the breaking point? Do really want to know these answers? Or will I only find out these answers after I've passed the threshold of "Too Far"?

I look at my hands and they are no longer the strong hands of young man but rather those of maybe one that has seen life....experienced life. There are scars where I've been tested. History shows my battle wounds. My hands appear thinner now, full of veins and coloration of an aging man. It is interesting to see them in this light while my mind remembers a time when they could grip over 600 pounds. They cannot do that anymore. I tire more easily now....quicker.

With all this recent marathon running I've put my legs and feet to the test. While as a young man they were thick and full of muscle they are much thinner now. I've got to say myself that they are pretty well defined. Not bad for a 50 year old dude. But they do tire easily too. Sure they can go the 26.2 when put to the test....maybe even more. But the daily grind becomes weary.

I wonder how far my mind can go? Well it keep up with my body or give out long before? Will it remain sharp or dull like a well used favorite kitchen knife. I fear that the most. Fear the unknown. Fear that I will find that "Wall" at mile 18 or 22 and won't be able to get past it. I don't like getting older. I'd prefer to stay young forever. I suppose that won't happen. I do dream though. I like science fiction like that.

How far will I bend? Physically, Mentally and Emotionally. These things I'm not sure of. I feel like an explorer going to discover a distant unknown territory. Traipsing through the jungle in search of the fountain of youth. Eager at first as the adventure starts, more wearisome as mileage or days compound day after day. Mile after mile. Each new turn is a new adventure. Each new place becomes my new favorite. Everything is in bright brilliant colors like on the jumbo scene before my eyes. More determined than ever to see more than ever. How far will I be allowed to go?

For now I will continue to pretend. I will continue to dream about being invincible. About seeing new sights never imagined, never thought, never would I have ever. Why? Well because that's who I am. I don't want to lay down and quit. To stop short of what I have imagined. Stop short because it isn't practical? Most things I done in life probably aren't practical. That never stopped be before.....maybe it should have. For now.....I will live my life......explore my bucket list (there is a lot to accomplish....no more waiting)....enjoy my blessings that God has granted me......see his creations......become part of something that is......UNIMAGINABLE.

Remember my friends...Dreams are meant to Lived

Eugene Thompson
ET This I Believe

0 comments:

Post a Comment