Thursday, December 24, 2015

The Art of Sharing

Christmas time is often considered the most joyous time of the year. People are spreading good cheer toward their fellow man. Family gets the opportunity to join together and eat a fabulous meal. And of course there is the presents thing. A tree filled with lights and ornaments seemingly held up by the pile of presents surrounding the base of the tree.

I understand that this isn't the true meaning of Christmas....giving that is. There is a whole lot more involved. First of all it isn't really related to Christ so much as the world has put into it, but I'm okay with that. People can do and believe as they wish. There could be a whole blog post....probably books and books about it but that isn't the point of today's post. Today is about how we perceive and participate in the holiday. I'm sure none are wrong, it's your right to celebrate how you want to.....or not. Let's just remember that the spirit of Christmas shouldn't be just this one day of the year....but everyday. Everyday the homeless need to be fed, everyday somewhere people would like to be cared for, pampered maybe, treated fairly.....how about hugged, loved, cherished and so forth? That's what I believe anyway.

The things I do on Christmas are traditions that were either started back when I was a kid or since my wife and I started our family. Most actually have been created with our kids. We have had a few recent additions since everyone has grown older and I'm sure we will continue to develop a few......and maybe a few will disappear, which is sad, but that is okay. Change is okay. That's what I believe anyway.

The biggest part surrounding Christmas is the gift giving to one another. It could possibly be brought back into the bible when the three wise men gave gifts to baby Jesus in the manger. Actually by the time they got there Jesus was in a house.....sorry I digress, but you get the idea. So we give gifts to each other. All good and fine. Again I don't think we are really out there thinking about Jesus when we are buying gifts. I don't. I'm thinking about my loved ones. That's what I choose anyway.

I wonder if the three wise men knew what they were starting when they traveled great distances and brought presents.....creating Black Friday sales, discounts galore or the massive amount of wrapping paper we go through on this festive morning? They might have been wise men but sometimes I think we are a bit foolish. If thought of the right way....it is all for fun and love. That's what I choose anyway.

So here comes the negative part. Yes I'm sorry there can be a negative part.....if you so choose. The world has placed us in a monetary game of forcing us to spend money in order to cherish this tradition. Spend money, slave over the stove, shop shop shop until you drop.....buy buy buy until you're in deep deep debt. Okay so they may not say that on the toy advertisements but you feel guilty if you don't buy little Johnny that extra special gift....even if you cannot afford it.
 

I have to go back all the way to when I was a kid and celebrated Christmas. I was seeking to find what I believed.....not what my family told me to believe. I saw a cartoon Christmas special call "The Little Drummer Boy." Do you remember that show? I don't think I've seen it for years.....wonder why? In the story the drummer boy didn't have anything to give to the newborn baby Jesus like the wise men but he wanted to share something.....he was poor. But he gave what he could afford.....it was a song. A PA RUM PUM PUM PUM, ON MY DRUM. That my friends is the meaning of Christmas and the best gift you can give. Not because it was on sale at Target.....but because it was a gift given from the heart.

It doesn't take money to make Christmas special. It takes love. 

We have made Christmas morning a great festive occasion with some outrageous traditions. Not because we had lots of money to spend....on the contrary..... We were poor. Lol. I made gifts for all of our family. Sketches of superheroes (of themselves..... Called the IONIC 6). I created custom artwork from photos for everyone. When I was a kid I made pot holders out of the clothe rubber band things, leather carving kits, paintings, and on and on. I didn't have money.....not as a kid....not as a young family starting out.....not as an entrepreneur beginning his business. But I did have a gift to give. I had a talent to share, so I did.

Ever since then I love the opportunity to give. Not just at Christmas, but anytime. To help someone or to pick up the check at a meal. I've picked up the tab of people I know and often do business with that we've run into at a restaurant...... Not because I have to....but because I like to. That is just me. I like to do those things. Not always were we able to. We had just enough to make ends meet. It's not the gift.....it's the thought of the gift. That .....I believe ..... is my blessing the Lord has given to me. Sharing.

So I give not to expect something in return. It isn't about material wealth. It is about something that maybe I can say is selfishness.....yes selfishness on my part.....I like to give.....that makes me happy, that brings me joy. I've always tried to make Christmas special for my kids and my family......to make it memorable.....different......unique....because I care. That's what I choose anyway.

So today I continue the same. I will continue to do the same traditions. I will continue to be silly and have fun and make this time of the year memororable. For as long as I can. I might spend right now....tomorrow I might only be able to give you a doodle......but I do it because I love to do it....not because I'm obligated. This brings me joy. One day I might be too old and shaky and my eye sight too poor to draw....Ill find some other way to share......and then ill be gone. Oh don't be sad...it will happen.....but everyone will remember that crazy bald Dad or Grand Dad or maybe even Great Grand Dad that was just crazy.....Crazy about sharing.

Just remember my friends.....PA RUM PUM PUM PUM.....ON MY DRUM.

HAVE A MERRY CHRISTMAS 

Eugene Thompson
ET This I Believe


0 comments:

Post a Comment