Sunday, October 20, 2013

Another Run

If you have been reading any of my blog posts or Facebook posts you know that I have been working towards my first marathon in January 2014.  I recently worked back up to the half marathon distance of 13 miles after my bout with my Achilles. I have found that my old body has troubles getting beyond this wall. That distance and time takes its toll. Three weeks ago I made 14 in Morgantown and yesterday was able to squeeze out about that same distance again around my neighborhood. Not sure of the exact distance because my iPhone tracking my distance died in route. I am guessing somewhere between 13 and 14 miles. I also lost seven pounds of water weight during that two and a half hours. 

Last weekend I ran the Race For The Cure, only 3 miles but ran home afterwards, another ten miles. I lost seven pounds then as well. If only that weight stayed off!

I have slightly more than 80 days to build up the rest of the distance. Nearly double what I have been doing. My cardio isn't too bad so I think I can keep up there. It isn't like I am killing it with my time. The part that worries me is my knees and feet. My feet are sore today. Thankfully my legs are not too bad after this run. A little achy which is probably expected. 

I decided to increase my training during the week with a couple of shorter runs. Every other weekend I will do my personal best to get to the marathon distance. The opposite weekend I will try for 10-13 miles. It is all a bit crazy thinking back in June I couldn't run even two miles without being pain. 

This all is a bit of my own stubbornness to accomplish more than I could even expect. My thought of how I can feel young by pushing myself doing something that I would of have difficulty doing when I was in high school, arguably in my best shape due to football. After all who really wants to grow old? 

Within the next month or so I will become a grandpa. Pretty exciting. I have a bald head but if it grows in, it would be grey. These all point to me being an old man. However, I refuse to accept this and plan on being forever young. 

I will keep you posted on my journeys. Please keep me in your prayers and all the encouragement is gratefully appreciated. I need a cheering group if fans. 

Be forever yong my friends. Don't grow old. 

ET This I Believe
Eugene Thompson 

0 comments:

Post a Comment