Monday, July 8, 2013

Fourth of July Weekend

Well this holiday weekend is finally over. For me it seemed like I missed out on this one. All of the traditional activities just slipped past. Rest and Relaxation did as well. Unfortunately the duties of life took over this time. What did I do?

Wednesday night: Drove over to Richmond to stay overnight so we would be close by in the morning. Long drive after a long day of work.

Thursday morning: Ran the Fourth of July 7.4 race. Not a great time but my first race since February due to my Achilles issue. Completion is success! Afterwards headed to jobsite and spent roughly 4 hours taking detailed millwork measurements for new library shelving to fit accommodatingly with the existing historic trim and moldings. Hot and sweaty while my wife and Mavrick wait outside for me in the clients gardens. (Funny note: Mavrick wasn't too sure of the statues around the yard. He barked at several of them.....also wanted to chase the deer that ran through.) Afterwards, London drive back home. Went to grocery store.....note to self....remember to go to the store at this time when everyone else is at the fireworks. Walmart was empty! Back home...unloaded....fell asleep.....no fireworks display....too tired.

Friday morning: Got up feeling pretty good from the run. Started mowing the lawn first thing. Was hot and sweaty starting off the beginning of the day. Afterwards....after the cool down.... Started editing the project specifications that I have been procrastinating on.....due Monday! Oops! Worked for about 6 hours while my wife was doing real estate. Quiet day......boring day. Nothing special.

Saturday morning: woke up to begin my specs and get them knocked out and the laptop wouldn't fire up. Great! Brand new laptop and it is dead......Threw a fit and stormed around the house because that meant I had to go to the office to complete the work. Certainly not my expectation of what I wanted to do. After trying several different stores to see if it was the charger. HHGregg, Best Buy, Batteries + no luck....wasted an hour. Up to the office I headed. Spent 8 hours up there trying to knock it out. There is only so much spec writing you can do in one day. Headed home.....did a little bit of gardening to give myself some peace. I like my flowers.

Sunday morning: woke up and decided I needed a more aggressive method of getting my frustrations out. Tested my Achilles again and ran 5.25 miles.....no problems......knock on wood! But super tired now. Went to church and then afterwards went up to the building to work for about 3 1/2 hours on the specs. Made good progress but didn't finish all the way. Close enough that we will be able to wrap the final sections by Monday afternoon. Went home, unwound by playing a video game.....probably a complete waste of time but good unwinding method. The spent the rest of the evening doing some more gardening, sitting and cleaning the wheels on the car......nothing special.

Okay, so now I am ready for my vacation......please. Weird 4th of July. No kids, no fireworks, no cook out, no nothing.......think I missed out on something.

Monday morning duty calls. Busy day, busy week. Marching to the drummer. This is my life......but I still need my getaway. Don't follow my example friends.....be sure to take some time.

ET this I believe 
Eugene Thompson

0 comments:

Post a Comment