Sunday, December 15, 2013

My Mom

There is a time in most everyone's life that they will experience a loss. It never comes at a time that is better, convenient or appropriate. It just comes. Whether you are ready or not. Early this morning I woke up to find out that my dear mother had passed from this earth. She was 82.

She had seen a lot of life. Her and my father had been to so many places in their lives. They had trips to Mexico, the islands and just about every state in the US. My father ran a business for 20+ years with my mother by his side. They got to raise four kids, see them married, see their grand kids. And for my mother, she got four great grand kids before she passed. I am sure not everything was perfect but in the grand scheme of things most was blessed.

We were fortunate that we had convinced her to come out and visit last year (hoping that she would stay) even if it was for only a brief time. She loved her home and preferred to live her last days there. There with her three crazy dogs. They kept her company. That and watching football. She could have watched game after game....she always believed she knew the game better than she did. I never told her differently.

There are a lot of things that I remember of my mother mostly of those involving her watching my games. From basketball to baseball to football.....she was always there. I remember the time I was knocked out at the old YMCA when I was just young going for a lay up. The running track went above the court for spectators to watch. She was sitting above the basket and couldn't tell that I was out. However she knew the rule.......don't go out on the court or field! She didn't.

She sat in the bleachers at the old ball field under the hot Oklahoma sun watching game after game. My dad even went to a few of these. I can remember them sitting behind the backstop watching my games when I was older. Probably watching me strike out.....I never was that good at baseball. She was always there to support me regardless of my abilities.

She loved football......once I taught her the rules. She went to nearly every game possible. She loved the high school atmosphere and all the drama of football in a small Oklahoma town. The games were always exciting and yes.....even when I was knocked out once.....she didn't go out on the field! I remember my parents sitting in the stands at Custer Field sweating at the beginning of the season and freezing towards the end. Those lovely Oklahoma seasons.

My mom was always there for me.

High School graduation from Bartlesville High. College Graduation from Oklahoma State. My wedding. The birth of my kids. She was there.

She struggled through the passing of my father nearly 25 years ago. I know she was lonely. I know that she missed him. We all did. But she marched on. Continued with life. As difficult as it might have been for her. She loved the things that were familiar to her. She wanted to stay in that old house with her dogs. That is what made her comfortable. That was her home for 40+ years.

These times are always so tough. I know I didn't visit enough. I know I didn't call enough. That will probably always haunt me. There will be times that I will realize what will be missed. Things that will never again occur in this life. I will miss getting to hear her voice on the phone. I will miss getting a hug. I will miss telling her stories about how my business is growing and being successful......just like dad's. I will miss sharing about my children and now grandchildren. I will miss hearing her stories of their life together. I will miss seeing her. In all things, I will miss her.

What brings me peace is knowing that I truly believe she was ready to go. Her health had declined. She struggled. She will now be with my father. Right beside him....just like she was all those years. I can imagine her smiling right now being held in his arms. Not old and frail like they exited this world, but young and vibrant and full of energy.....just like those black and white pictures pasted in her photo book. Happy.....that is how I will choose to remember her.

Love you mom.....miss you already.
Your little boy

1 comments:

Unknown said...

That was beautiful. God be with you.

Post a Comment