Sunday, March 17, 2013

Appreciative of the Little Things

You have heard that you need to focus on the "Big Picture" right? You cannot see the forest for the trees. Don't sweat the small stuff and on and on. All these sayings are very good words of wisdom. They tell us how important it is to make a master plan of things (no matter what the issue) and develop all the smaller pieces underneath. When you write a story, you come up with a point, and then define that into usually three sub-topics. When I design a building, I don't begin with the lavatory or door knob first, I have to begin with the overall concept and then return to the smaller items when it comes time.

But I think sometimes we don't appreciate the little things as much as we should. We look at the overall and miss out on the minuscule. Minuscule, not insignificant. How many times have you missed out on something precious because you were rushing around doing something else. Something that was obviously more important.....at least it was at that time.

When we are younger, we strive to become successful, to develop our careers, to initiate the "plan", whatever that may be. It isn't usually until later in our lives that we begin to realize that all that running around has made us miss some of the more special times. We were always focused on the big picture that we missed out things that we didn't realize (yet) how important those little moments would become.

I look back now and wish that I had spent more time with my grandmother while she was living with us when I was in high school. I could have found out about the history, about her life during the depression, about my grandfather that I never met and countless other stories.

Or how about hearing stories from my father, unfortunately he passed away after my first year of college. I didn't even get the chance to understand about life to ask him questions about what it all meant. Or his life growing up. Because of those missed little moments, I will always have an incomplete hole in my life.

That makes me wonder what I have missed about my kids. While I was so busy building a business, what was missed when they were growing up. I know I wished I had taken more pictures than I had. It is so much easier now that we live in the digital world. Cell phones with cameras and the wonderful social network that allows us to post everything.....if we choose. Sometimes too much....sometimes too little.

What was I thinking about? Probably the big picture. I do remember some of the little moments. I do recall the funny things the kids said or did. They make me laugh when we recount them. You know it was just the other day that all four kids were just little babies. Where did the time go? They are all grown now and either married or about to get married. They have their lives now. They have their relationships now. They have their ambitions now. Just like we did.

I have to force myself to slow down sometimes and look more closely at the little pieces or moments. The times when my wife and I can sit in our garden in the mornings and enjoy a nice cup of coffee before work. Or maybe the moments when my flowers begin blooming in that garden and I get to trim them up and enjoy how wonderfully beautiful they are. Even the patio is wonderful with the fire crackling while we relax in the evening after a long day.....or a short day.

When we travel I so much dislike the drive. I have to force myself once again to take the time to see what is special and not miss out on the moments. Driving back from Lubbock Texas this last week I joked about what there wasn't to see. But there were a dozen times that I wanted to pull over and take a picture of the old rusted gas station in that tiny town to small to even be called a town. Or the cactus plants that looked amazing growing up along miles of barbed wired fences held up with crooked wooden posts. There was this one shot that I could visualize in my camera lens where there were a cluster of trees barren of any leaves or for that matter any signs of life. It wasn't warm enough for spring to kick in yet. These trees were dark and the branches just looked wicked like some sort of menacing black forest. But alas we didn't stop at any of those spots.....it was more important to make time down the road. A missed opportunity.

My wife and I visited New Orleans this last week and while there was so much big stuff to see, we chose the small stuff. Yes we took some times of some of the main architectural structures but we spent the majority of that brief afternoon taking pictures of all the unique homes around the French Quarters. And not just a picture of the entire home but I focused on the idiosyncratic characteristics of their doors. So many different colors and shapes. And then even further looking at the iron work on the garden entrances and the brass door knockers. You could see the age in these pieces and possibly a story behind each. I wonder what story each held? I may never know, but the families that have lived there certainly may....I hope.

I realize now that before long my kids will have their own families. We will just be the grandparents. You know that long road over the river and through the woods? It is long sometimes. This weekend our oldest son had to have emergency surgery. He had problems with his stomach that was ultimately discovered it was his gallbladder that was infected. It was minor surgery but any surgery is scary. He was certainly in pain. It troubles us as parents when our children are suffering and we cannot help. We didn't do much to help. We just sat and waited the weekend. Yes, I could have accomplished so much after being gone on the trip for over a week and my wife for two weeks. But that wasn't important. Being there was important. Just a small moment in the overall big picture, but still important.

You don't know when time has slipped away until it is already gone. Once it is pasted you cannot click the remote control of life to step back in time to replay. (I do that to often. Look for the remote to replay what someone said or did like everything could be controlled by a armchair electronic. Well not today anyway but maybe someday.) When it is gone....the moment is gone. Rarely do we really catch the moment....the real precious moments on camera. I guess that is why they are special because they continue to live with us in our hearts and minds. Not in some digital folder. But if your not there....even that won't exist. I am glad we were here, even if we did nothing but sit. And sit. And more sit. We are here.....for the moment.

Be sure my friends to spend time with your family and enjoy each and every moment.....not just the big ones.....but appreciate even the little ones!

This song just came on the radio: Cat's in the cradle and the silver spoon!

Etthisibelieve


0 comments:

Post a Comment