Sunday, April 13, 2014

Deserted Island

Sometimes I feel like I live on a deserted island. In my dreams! For the most part I am a hermit. I prefer to be by myself. Oh sure, I try to be social. But then there's a point time where I really just need to get away from it all. This is probably why many times I feel so isolated. Not really a lot of friends, not really a lot of associates, not really a lot of family around me. I'm not sure why Gilligan and his friends ever tried to leave that little island.

I think the big issue is that so many people really don't "get" me. I don't always "get" myself either. So it's pretty hard ask others to figure me out. I am also a moody individual. It could be the diabetes or could be old-age, who knows for sure. Or let's just hit the nail right on the head: maybe I'm just difficult to get along with. I won't deny that.

Robinson Caruso, my hero. Swiss family Robinson, at least they had family stuck around them. Gilligans Island, there was always an adventure to be had. I thought about it before if I was ever stuck on an island, like Tom Hanks in "Castaway". Would I sing songs to myself? Maybe, if I could remember the words to the songs. I would probably get that wrong. I never really listen to the words of the song, just the tune.

Would I build myself a treehouse? Or find my lodging in a cave? Or maybe it's just a little lean-to shack with a few palm leaves covering the top for protection out of the rain? Not sure. How about food? Cannot figure out how to hunt possibly wild game on the island? Or what I have to fish with sharp stick in the coral reefs surrounding the island? Or figure out a way to make banana cream pie coconut cream pies like they did on Gilligans Island? Probably just regular old fruit if I'm lucky. I'd be lucky if I didn't starve. 

What I want company on the island with me? More than likely after a while I would get pretty lonely. I do now when I'm by myself too much. Maybe my best friend would be "Wilson" a soft spoken mostly silent volleyball? Maybe my wife, but she would probably always get irritated at me. She does now. With reason. Like I said, I'm not easy to live with.

Never seeing any friends or family would probably get quite old after a period of time. Sometimes being in different places by myself even though there's a crowd around me, I'm still alone. Running in a race with several thousands of people unknown to me, I am pretty isolated. Conversations usually do not strike up. I should just do my thing.

Don't be LOST on an island my friends, find your comrades.

ET This I Believe
Eugene Thompson

0 comments:

Post a Comment