Friday, July 29, 2016

Lions Bears and Giants


Lions, Bears, and Giants 

The Lord who delivered me from the paw of the lion and from the paw of the bear, He will deliver me from the hand of this Philistine. 
1 Samuel 17:37 

"Hey, you guys. Don't be afraid. I'll fight this Philistine giant." 

But David was young. David was not even a warrior, and certainly not an experienced warrior. Saul felt it necessary to mention these things after David had so fearlessly declared that he himself would fight Goliath. 

But David persisted. "When I am taking care of my fathers sheep, and a lion or a bear comes and grabs a lamb from the flock, I go after it with a club and take the lamb from its mouth. If it turns on me I catch it by the jaw and club it to death" (1 Samuel 17:34,35 tlb). 

If David had not experienced lions and bears, he would not have been prepared for his confrontation with Goliath. 

And as he watched the round stone find its mark, and felt the earth shake when Goliath fell, it was etched indelibly on David's mind and heart that his God was able. 

This morning I struggle with defeat. Questioning why. Why when I try so hard to do the right thing I face so much opposition? What have I done wrong? 

Not knowing (at this time) the extent of my trials or what I am about to face, I realize it isn't my battle. The battle belongs to the Lord. I will trust in him, not myself. Maybe...just maybe....he felt my battle wasn't big enough. Maybe he plans on using me in a different manner. Maybe he is giving me another lion or bear to fight before I get to Goliath.......but I know this......I will fight Goliath......and he will fall.

Eugene Thompson
ET This I Believe

Marathon Runner.....soon again.


0 comments:

Post a Comment