Sunday, January 26, 2014

Marathonacation: Day Three

The day of the race. We had to wake up at 3:30 AM to catch the shuttle by 4. I had everything ready so it wasn't a problem but man is that early! We grab our stuff and a little breakfast food so I'm can get a little protein before the long race. Change in race shirts, it is colder than expected so I go with a short sleeve rather than the tank top. I am not a cold weather fan at all!

We finally get there. I think our bus driver didn't know where he was going.....great! The whole reason we stayed in a Disney Resort. Anyway, we join the gaggle of hoarding zombies walking towards the race location with just enough time for them to tell us that I needed to head to my corral. I had hoped that we could sit a bit before having to separate. Long line for the Port-a-potties but I knew I still had a long wait in the corral so I better stop now.

Found my spot and just sat on the roadway behind Epcot stretching out and trying to relax. I'm alone, it's dark and I am a bit anxious about my first marathon. There are 25,000 runners this morning....that is crazy. 5:30 gets here and you see the first set of fireworks go off signaling the start of the first wave. They are Corral A......I'm in Corral L. I have to wait another hour and fifteen minutes before I am expected to finally begin running.

We run through the entrance gate, around Disney Speedway, up towards Magic Kingdom, thru Cinderella's castle, on Main Street, back out on the highway to Animal Kingdom, next to the monkey cages, near Alpengeist and then back out on the highway again. Long way to Disney Wide World of Sports but we make it around the turning track, around the baseball practice fields and around the baseball stadium. Just before hitting the highway again I finally spot my wife cheering me on.....I needed that. My knee is hurting. Just six more miles. Down the last stretch and we see some funny signs posted. One said, " the last 100 are more impressive than the first 100" and also one that said, "Chuck Norris never ran a marathon,,,,,he walked it backwards to see what second place looked like." I laughed at that one.




 



We finally work our way through and around Epcot and by this time I am really tired and my knee is killing me. I have to run walk a bit. The best part as I count down each final mile marker, 24.   25.   26 and then into the final gate. Just like last time there is a gospel choir singing you in. Last time it was Get Right Church Come On Home......this time it was An Awesome God. I gave them a thumbs up and I picked up my final pace to push across the line.

Great motivation to have people along the side cheer you on and call your name out telling me I got this or it's not much further. I cross the line....arms in the air......triumphant.
I finished. Not what I wanted in time, but I still did it and I had a huge smile on my face.....a medal around my neck. And a first time experience that I will never forget.

I work my way through the bananas and snacks and space blankets being handed out and find my wife and gave her a hug. I am so glad to see her. I'm tired.














We head to the bus and get back to the resort. That is a tough walk....after some 69,168 steps. Stairs are not my friends right now. I'm covered in salt from the sweat that has poured out of my body....it feels good. But now the not so good part.....ice bath. I will probably be glad later but for now this is pure torture. Some food....I don't even remember what I ate......and sleep!

I wake up after a few hours to a ton of friends saying congratulations on my Facebook post. That is so cool. I have great friends. I put my race shirt on....the clean dry one....and my medal and we head out to Downtown Disney for the celebration. It started at 4 but I had slept a while. It is good for me to walk around, my legs are a bit sore but mostly my feet. Nothing real bad.

We choose The House of Blues for dinner and celebration. A nice meal and a bottle of wine finishes off the end of a great day. The first time on my Bucket List is now complete! I'm ready to tackle the next one.

Psalms 26:2
Examine me, O Lord, and prove me;
Try my mind and my heart.
ET This I Believe
Eugene Thompson

0 comments:

Post a Comment