Sunday, January 26, 2014

Marathonacation: Day Two

Saturday and on vacation in Florida. This just sounds awesome.....of course I can't sleep in on this day any better than any other day. At least we bought some extra coffee for the hotel room since they always leave just one regular coffee and a bunch of decaf.....really? Everything else was just trying to stay in my normal routine.

We did just lay in bed and relax a bit longer which was nice but finally I needed to get up and do a lot of stretching to stay loose. I wanted to run a little just to keep going. There was a 1.2 mile walk path around the complex that ran around the lake in the middle. Perfect for just a short run. I took the long route and tested out everything to make sure all was working as needed. Music, gps, new waistband, etc. It all just needed to be perfect. I'm a little bit of a freak when it comes to consistency on these things. After all, I don't want there to be any excuses why I can't run and for that matter any distractions preventing me form focusing. There were a few 'pieces' of sand around the run with lounge chairs and even hammocks that I thought would be great areas to hang out today. A bit warm but a nice run.

After we both ran, we headed in the dinning area for breakfast. A bit crazy because we were later than normal for breakfast but apparently just on time if you were on vacation......us and everyone else waiting in line. Still a fun breakfast as we ate, relaxed and took care of whatever Internet business we needed. My wife certainly looked like she was playing the part of the pirate with her new headband, inscribed, "Run Like A Grandma" across the top. 


The intent of the rest of the day was to take it easy and relax before the race. We needed to go back to the expo to make sure we knew about the spectator spots and how my wife could watch the race in and around the Disney parks. Also there was a registration that allowed her to track me along the way to see my progress. That was pretty cool. Plus we saw some things we wanted to buy that we figured wouldn't be available after the marathon. 
Afterwards, we headed to Downtown Disney for a bit of shopping and lunch. There were a few new places since our last visit and some new construction taking place. I always like to see those! Can't help myself, I am always working. We couldn't really decide where we wanted to go. There was a fun place called Splitsville which was a bowling themed restaurant. It looked fun but maybe later. We finally set our minds on Wolfgang Puck. Food was good...service was poor. I finished my meal before my wife even got her food. That is bad. We decide that eating at vacation places are fun but we run the risk of not necessarily the best service always. It was okay. We were just chillin'




We thought about a movie but there just really wasn't enough time. I needed to keep things pretty tame since the race was so early in the morning. After a bit more shopping we headed over to Fulton's Crab House to join some friends that we knew from Allentown PA. It had been so long, probably 20 years! When we got together it was just like old times....picking up a conversation like we just left off. That was fun. 
Fulton's was like you were on a giant riverboat. Our waiter was named Darrel.....spelled just like me.....and of course we joked about him being my other brother Darrel.....where was Larry? Again the best of conversation between old friends until we finally had to leave. 


Time for bed......morning will come early......real early. I'm out pretty quick after sitting my gear out and packing everything I need.

ET This I Believe
Eugene Thompson


0 comments:

Post a Comment