Wednesday, June 15, 2016

RUN BIKE RUN - my first duathlon

Not only was this my first duathlon but it was my first time riding a bike in nearly 20 years. Leave it to me to go overboard with my goals. I think it might be wise to remember I'm not a young man anymore.......nah.

So a few months ago a friend asked me if I wanted to do a duathlon down in the outer banks for an MY EO event. I said sure.......not having ridden a bike in forever much less even owning a bike at that time. That was before the clock ticked down to me having done nothing to prepare for this event.....including buying that bike that I needed. My schedule collapsed around the many things in my life (like it always does) and left me ill-prepared. My normal operation system.

So my forum group decided to go to the Dominion Republic the week before and since I was on the learning chair for the EO chapter I needed to go to Bangkok for GLC (Global Learning Center....I think) the week after. Yeah my schedule, let's see if I can pack it completely full. I do this really well. Doing all these things and trying to run two architectural offices and get RUN EUGENE RUN off the ground too.

So time nears.....like really nears. The weekend before we fly out to DR I finally register for the OBX Duathlon, go to the new local REI store and buy a new bike with gear.....I have no clue what I'm doing....but I do it! 

I figure I should put be too bad.....after all I should have the 5ks pretty easy. The 20 mile bike ride.....I have no idea what to expect. I watch YouTube videos to see how to jump off your bike and jump back on......okay I got that. Pretty sure I'm not going that fast. Thankfully this one has no swimming component in it. I bought the bike on Saturday and went for my first 5 mile ride on Sunday afternoon. I have no idea how to properly change gears.....I'm a mess. I actually think that maybe the gears aren't working. But no time to figure any of it out....it will have to wait.

While down in DR I managed to get a few runs in even though it was raining most of our trip. I even ran on the beach....just for fun......not knowing that the last 5k for the duathlon was actually ON THE BEACH. I should read better! Anyway....good practice. Running on the sand isn't easy!
 
So in the middle of all this, my wife will be flying out to Texas to visit our kids and granddaughter. We will basically pass in the air on my return. I fly back Thursday afternoon and thankfully had a smaller bag for carry on otherwise I wouldn't have made it through customs in Philadelphia. Only two of us caught the last flight home on schedule.....four others enjoy the airport hospitality for six more hours!
 
Made it home late, collapsed and went to bed. Got up Friday morning and handled a few things at work before heading down to OBX for the registration. And yes, I tried packing more in on Friday than I should have.....stressed out about getting there in time for registration. Being a new type of event I really wanted to check in and make sure everything was set to go. Oh yeah.....no hotel registration yet. I'll figure that one out on the fly!
 
I get there in time and Chip helped me look over the bike and made sure everything was in working order. A quick lesson on shifting gears and setting up our race numbers etc. and I was ready to go....I hoped!
I got up early the next morning thankfully my hotel was one block away from the pier where the race started. Everything was good and I was set. The group from OBX Running Company was great getting us started. I felt much more comfortable that this was going to be less stressful and I wasn't going to be as bad as slacker as I thought. I just reminded myself to have fun.
The first 5k was great as I did about a 9:30 pace which was ran on asphalt on the edge of the roadway. Piece of cake. Now the bike ride. I had to make sure I walked the bike out of the transition area properly or I would be disqualified. Chip was cranking on his run and was off quickly on the bike. He was flying!

The first 10 miles on the bike wasn't bad. I had the wind to my back and was able to get accustomed to the bike pretty well. Was actually passing a few people. I amazed myself at that! 
And then.....
 
The turn around point......with the headwind returning. Not good! My legs were beginning to get tired. This type of use was far different than just running. I usually just shuffle along. On the bike I had to lift my legs much higher to peddle. Oh yea......and my butt began to hurt. I ran through my head a gazillion  reasons why in the world they designed these bike seats so hard! Yes I had padded bike pants on but at this point that wasn't helping at all.
 
I got the end of the 20 miles and Chip was there recording my less than graceful dismount from the bike.....How did I like it? My butt hurt! Lol. I lost some time on the last part of that bike ride. I just couldn't keep up my speed. Now off to the last 5k......on the beach.
 
Nothing harder than running in the sand.....well maybe running up hill......thankfully that wasn't the case. I was exhausted but determined to keep pushing the best I could. A few people assed me up here but I could tell I wasn't going to be last.......55 out of 69. I'll take that as a win!



I finished and that was my victory. I'm pleased with that. Chip cranked, won first in his age group and 6th overall. Excellent work! We celebrated our completion of the MY EO event with our shirts! 

Am I ready for the next bike race? Get me a little time.....and some practice.
Until then......RUN EUGENE RUN.

Enjoy your day my friends ad never be afraid to tr something new!
Eugene Thompson
ENTREPRENEUR RUNNER and now BIKER!



0 comments:

Post a Comment