Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Problem Solving with Diabetes

Have you ever had one of those days wherever you turn you are faced with problems?
Areas you thought were 100% under control turned out to be in chaos? The world begins to spin and you cannot seem to grasp back onto solid ground?

Yeah....me too.

It can be normal everyday issues or even work related. Whatever comes up you need to not stick your head in the sand but rather resolve the issues. I know easier said than done. I have this often. I want to run away. I call it my hermit-itis......(is that a word? It is now).....I'd rather be a hermit.

As a diabetic I've often been faced with imaginary issues that seem much more grand than they are in reality. Don't tell my brain that......it thinks they are real. Blood sugar controls so many things one of them being your emotions. You certainly could call it depression..... I'd rather call it emotional delusion. I know that it is just a chemical imbalance and I should try and work myself out of it. 

So how do you do that? Well I've gone through this enough times that I have learned a few lessons.

Lesson learned: 

1) Suck it up and walk it off.
Ok so that is harsh but I tend to be a bit tough on myself and really don't want to drown in my sorrows. I feel that the best medicine is to get up and keep moving. After all nobody ever drown by falling into water......they drowned by staying there.

2) There is no time for me to be off of my game. 
Have you ever went on vacation and then came back to a pile of work? Isn't it crazy how much builds up even over a short time. So think about that when you get overwhelmed and want to retreat. More than likely you are a person that is in need. Staff, Family, Friends.....try to stay on your game. Many people rely upon you but more importantly you rely upon yourself. Take a breath and get back in the game.

"I know I have said this a thousand times. Just Keep Working. No matter how bad things are or how bleak the future seems. You are giving up on things by not getting up early, showing up late, or not finishing what you started. Neglecting your work just paralyzes your chances of getting through the darkness. So if you are going through tough times. No matter what they are. Just Keep Working." - Jesse James

3) I realize that I need to more analytical and less emotional in my dealings.
Science! It will solve anything. Okay maybe not exactly. Try to flip the switch and pretend it is someone else's problems and you are asked to solve them. Would you jump up and down and freak out? Probably wouldn't help that individual much. Try to put it in the right perspective. There is some issue that needs to be addressed. Whether it is work related or any other issue look at it as a regular problem solving task. 

Matt Damon said to those students at the end of " The Martian" ...when things look bad just do the math and solve the problem. Then move on to the next problem. You solve enough problems you get to go home. 

4) Write the issues down.
Whether they are real or imaginary....it doesn't matter. In your head they are real....or real enough to make you worry about them. Then after each one.....write a solution. Don't worry about how practical the solution is.....just write it down. It will start your brain thinking about various possibilities to resolve the issues. Sometimes by writing them down it will bring a bit of reality to the situation and you will realize that it wasn't that big of a deal after all. Sometimes FEAR freezes us and makes us IMMOBILE to any action.

5) Reengage.
Once you've gone through these tasks don't keep hibernating. Get out there and keep doing what you do. Re-engage with others and interact so that your brain gets back on track.


Diabetes is a real struggle as well as depression. Don't let it get out of hand. If you see yourself slipping further than don't be afraid to get some help. Sometimes just chatting with a friend can get you through some tough issues.

I'm here if you need to chat about your diabetes struggles. You can contact me at RunEugeneRun26.2@gmail.com

Eugene Thompson
Runner + Diabetic

Website coming soon with menus and exercises to help us all.

0 comments:

Post a Comment