Sunday, March 2, 2014

Monuments Men

My wife and I took advantage of a lazy afternoon this Saturday (which rarely ever happens......lazy that is) to take in a movie in the afternoon. We had heard the Monuments Men was a good movie so that was our choice. I won't tell all the details so as not to SPOIL it if you haven't seen it yet, but basically is was about the collection of art during Hitler's reign. 

First the collection by Hitler. He had the Germans gather up every piece of great art from paintings to sculptures including books and jewelry to be displayed in his own massive Fuehrer Museum. First is was taken from the Jews. Then everywhere else including churches and museums as they marched thru each country and each city. They destroyed anything they could not take.

The second was the RE-collection by the Monuments Men to insure that the Germans didn't destroy it all before the end of the war as they were loosing. Their task was to get it back to the previous owners unlike the Russians who were collecting also but for their repercussions from how much they lost during the war.

A very interesting movie based on much of the true story. But it made me angry......actually sick to my stomach. Seeing part of the movie where the Germans were retreating they burned many of the storage vaults/mines where all the art was stored. Just burned it because they couldn't have it. Great works of art by great masters gone forever. 

It is so sad when war or natural disasters cause damage and things like this get ruined but to just plain burn it is senseless. Sickening. Many of the works created you don't know if they are still lost someplace or were destroyed by the Germans. Again, senseless act of selfishness. Even if I have never known or seen these great pieces it makes me sad to know that me and everyone else will never be able to experience the beauty. I can imagine some of those Monuments Men who had actually seen the works previously......and then saw the ashes. I'm sure it made them sick too.

Brings to me the one artwork I know and very much appreciated growing up that was destroyed. Shin'en kan by Bruce Goff. The private residence of Joe Price who had hired this creative architect to create a piece of architecture artistry. One of a kind unique home that was burned down because the new land owner wanted to build his NEW house one the same spot......supposedly. 

I had visited the home many times and when my mother sent me the newspaper clippings of it destroyed and the loss I was devastated. Sick to my stomach. A senseless waste that now cannot be appreciated by so many others. The Monuments Men reminded me of this event and brought to mind how cruel and irresponsible people can be.

It just goes to show that things on this earth are here for only a short time and that we should learn to appreciate them while we can. Before they are gone. Forever. That goes for art, architecture, cultures and most importantly PEOPLE.

Go visit a museum today my friends!
Or a friend! Don't wait until tomorrow.

ET This I Believe
Eugene Thompson
 

0 comments:

Post a Comment