Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Running Etc.

Let me first start off saying that I a no running expert.  Probably far from it.  I have never truly enjoyed running even as a kid. Sure all kids run around but it wasn't like I decided to set off and just run somewhere. Running was faster to get to my final destination than walking.  Same holds true for me today.  Doctors have been telling me that I need to get out and walk.  I always respond telling them that walking is boring and it takes too long to get there.  Where? Anywhere...just takes too long!

A few years back my wife and I started running...let me define "RUNNING"....by running I mean jogging.....you know the slow trot.....okay....for me the SLOW TROT.  When I think of running I more often think of the all out sprint like we watch these days in the Olympics. Or maybe even the heavy duty chase or get away from the bogey man under your bed.  Okay I haven't had the opportunity for the bogey man to run after me (Thank goodness)...but you get the idea.  For when I mention running from now on, there you have it.

Any way, we started running and really found it somewhat enjoyable.  The enjoyable part was the weight loss the general healthier feeling we were having.  We even worked up to running a half marathon down at Disney in Florida. That was in January of 2008.  Yeah, I know, quite some time ago.  After that run I thought I could reward myself with a week off......that last four years as been the longest week!

Well flash forward to today.  I haven't really been much into the exercise but if you have read some of my posts on facebook or here in the blog you will know that I am a diabetic. My father passed away over 25 years ago from the effects of the disease at the age of 52. My health wasn't getting any better at the age of 46.  My disease kept getting more dependant on medicines that really didn't cure the issue.  So finally I had enough and took it on...finally. In march of this year, I set out to lose some weight and begin the physically healthy routine of....running. Since then I have lost over 40 pounds. In march we ran an 8K charity race.  I weighed 236 pounds and ran it in a 16 min/mile pace.  Today I am running under a 10 minute pace and am consistently around 196.

So, posted here for everyone to read and HOLD ME ACCOUNTABLE are my running goals for the next 3 years. Yesterday in a workout I ran 5 miles.  I can do that pretty easily now.  My goal is to get back in shape for a half marathon in January 2013. One year later, to run a full marathon down at Disney by 2014. The Disney half is typically ran on a Saturday and the medal you get is a Donald Duck medal.  The full marathon is the following Sunday and you receive a Mickey Mouse medal. So .....January of 2015 I want to run both! Donald Duck, Mickey Mouse and if you succeed....you get a Goofy medal.  Yep...I am certainly goofy! All before the age of 50!

Why am I doing this? First and foremost it is for my health and for my family.  They deserve for me to get fit and stay healthy.  I don't want to leave them early like my father unfortunately did. Secondly, I want to be able to raise money for those working on a cure for diabetes.  I am not asking for money right now, but please stay in tune to my blog as I will be counting on your support.  Not only your support but your encouragement to continue on this race. Please do me a favor and leave of note at the bottom of this blog. It will encourage me and hoefully others that may read. I will continue to update my progress during this journey.

I want to write some more....but unfortunately I need to RUN.....literally! Have a great day my friends!

et's this I believe

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sunday, I had to walk a fair distance from my chair to the podium to read a scripture at church. When I started to read, I realized "Whew! I'm out of breath!" I need to get a little cardio going too. -Gideon

Post a Comment