Sunday, November 24, 2013

I run.....run so far away

Yeah that was my theme song yesterday. I had set my goal of running twenty miles for my birthday two weeks ago. It just wasn't going to happen. I was too tired after several days in all day classes in Richmond on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. When I went to go for the run Saturday morning, the day before my birthday......I was just pooped. 

So two weeks later, not that I have gotten much more rest but I needed to meet this goal. I felt pretty good. I also knew the temperature was beginning to get colder and it would be harder real soon. Also needed to get this hurdle over to stay on pace for my training for the marathon in only 49 more days.

With ear buds plugged in and new running socks and shoes I was off and running. 54 degrees yesterday in Virginia Beach. I'm a wimp when it comes to cold but figured I would warm up so just shorts and a long sleeve running shirt from the 10K Wicked a few years ago. One of my favorites. And no beany for my bald head!

Man it didn't get warmer. Along my run I came across several other running and they were dressed head to toe....dang, I might have been wrong about this dress thing. The wind was picking up!

I ran my normal route. I like familiarity so I can figure where I am and distances. Eliminates it from the unexpected struggles. The first loop around the neighbor hood always gets me. The first half mile that chirps out of my Runkeeper.......now only 39 more half miles!    WHATTTTT!? I just keep going. Mile after mile. Zone out to the music. Tell myself, "Have a Fun Run". Something my neighbor told me a while back that has always stuck. 

Mile 4....5.....6....7 doing well on my pace. Mile 8....9.....10. I am at the furthest distance from home I have ever been. I pick a new route as the city has finished a nice path along princess anne road....11....ugh......getting. Tired. Stop at mile 11.5 for a quick Energy Gel. Tastes like frosting. Back to running.

I try to cut a new path through a Nimmo Parkway but it isn't finished construction. Contractors might not be happy with me. I turn around at mile 13. That means I won't get all the way back home unless I run a full 26......that ain't gonna happen.

Wind is cold. Mile 13 is my wall. I just push. I start telling myself mind tricks to keep going. Most I have ever ran was 17. That is 4 more miles.....ughhhhh. Too far. My iPhone died on me last time with only 15 miles posted. So that is my goal. 13.5....14....14.5......15. No longer is it miles it is half miles. I met that goal. Now to push for beating next goal.

I don't even remember mile 15-17. I zoned out. Beat my record! Really tired.....want to stop! Do I really need to go 20? Get my mind right! But my calf feel like they will burst. My feet are sore. Toes sore. Hamstrings are getting tight. I have to speed walk for a bit.....can't go further. I do another Energy Gel. Walk a bit more and then yell at myself to keep running.

17.5....18.....just two more miles. I text my wife to be ready to pick me up on Dam Neck. 18.5.  Ughhhhh. 19 miles! Not going to stop now. Pushing pain aside and just going. Back on to a decent pace for this far. 19.5 I begin yelling at myself through the music......singing songs! Doing my own countdown of distance and time in my head........keep going.....not going to stop!

And then the Runkeeper said it......20 miles! I do the Rocky dance in the middle of the run path. I am sure the drivers that I was crazy. 

My wife pulls up, gives me protein drinks, performance.....and the most painful part.....an ICE BATH.

The crazy things we do to stay young!

I ran......so far away!
Eugene Thompson
ET This I Believe

0 comments:

Post a Comment