Monday, November 4, 2013

Early Bird Gets The Worm


Yeah, we have all heard this saying somewhere in our lives. It was probably first from our parents when we were teenagers wanting to sleep in late on a Saturday morning. They had other plans for us most likely relating to yardwork. Then it might have been from one of our college professors as we dragged in early every Tuesday morning to that class on Calculus at 7AM. I am sure there were no worms getting math equations first thing in the morning. Then we heard it from one of those young professionals forums where we read, "How to Get Ahead in Today's Business Climate." We were all trying to be successful and I guess it had to do with getting the worm thing. And then we told ourselves once we were married and started a family that in order to get ANYTHING accomplished we had to get up early. After all the kids were waking us up early too. We might as well get up and begin the day. And then finally we began telling our own teenagers......out of revenge from them waking us up early all those previous years......to get up and get out of bed. "You're wasting your day away." Sounds like a vicious cycle doesn't it?

So what is it now in my life where I find that I don't need an alarm clock any more. At least the one that sets on my nightstand. I wake up automatically all the time .......on time. Actually, rapidly approaching the age of 48 years old, I find myself consistently waking up at 6AM every morning. Weekends as well. Truthfully, I wake up about 10 minutes until 6. It like I don't want the clock to hit 6 before my eyes are open. I have some sort of built in alarm system that I am sure I didn't request.

However, over the last two weeks, I have been waking up around 4 or 4:30. Now that is too early even for worms. My wife thinks that I am worrying about something. But not so much. I am just waking up earlier for some reason. Three times last week I was up before 5. Oh yeah, I tried to fall back asleep but that just wasn't going to happen. You almost get more frustrated at that than you do waking up early.

Sunday morning I thought I had got back on track and all was good. I woke up about 5:30 but that wasn't too bad........oops......day light savings shift.......it was actually 4:30, the clocks just hadn't changed yet. That is crazy! Even my body worked itself around the time change. 

So here I am this morning on e again, running through all the things that my week will entail at the pre-crack of dawn. At least it is peaceful sitting in the dark waiting for the coffee maker to start up. I write my task lists for all the things that need to be accomplished and even do a bit of reading of some articles I saved. I can hear the wind rustling the leaves outside. Sounds cold. I hear the house creak and moan a bit. I wonder what each sound is since all th kids have grown up and moved away. It is so quiet I even hear our little dog snore. Man, now I am jealous!

Actually this is all good habits. I do get a lot accomplished by being the EARLY BIRD. I was thinking about the worm. If the bird is up early catching the worm......the worm had to be up early too. As a matter of fact, the worm had to get up before the bird because he is so slow he needed to get started on wherever he was going sooner. Maybe I SHOULD BE LIKE THE WORM.......JUST FASTER!

Too much thinking this early in the morning my friends. Just enjoy your day....no matter what time you start it.

ET This I Believe
Eugene Thompson


0 comments:

Post a Comment