Wednesday, November 20, 2013

BLAH-vember

It is that month when I seem to get the blahs. I always hate when I get in these moods. My wife hates it even more. She calls it depression.....I just call it BLAH. It isn't really any more serious than that. She will ask me, "What are you worrying about?" It isn't really that either. So this morning, awake at 4:30, with an extremely long day ahead of me, I decided to put down some reasons why this time of the year begins my blah moments.

BLAH ONE:
I am going to say that the first major reason for blah-vember is the weather. It begins to get cold and rainy even here at the beach. That has to put a damper on anyone's attitude. Who wants to really bundle up to go running? Who wants to go out to the car and sit in the cold while it warms up? Who wants all this cold rain? We won't get much snow if any at all around here but just dreariness. 

BLAH TWO:
Cold season begins. It seems like with the colder weather also comes the sniffs and sneezes. The beginning of the weather changes seems to be more like a pogo stick with the temperature going up and down. One day it is 45 the next it is 75. That not only messes with your internal thermostat but also messes with your head. Should I wear a sweater or shorts? Boots or flip flops? Parka or tank top?

BLAH THREE:
For me the holidays have always been a lot of fun. However all the kids are now grown and doing their own thing. That is a bit of a bummer. Completely expected and should have been anticipated but still I remember the times when we all went to cut down a tree after Thanksgiving. Or decorating together. It will take me some time to get into a new tradition with just my wife and I. I am sure I can find something creative and fun. (I will say that this year begins the fun of becoming grandparents for the first time......that will be fun.)

BLAH FOUR:
You remember that honey due list you started last January?.....for a New Years goal?......and now it is less that 45 days away and the list hasn't been reduced......it has increased! That sucks! What have I been doing all year long? Where did the time go? Man, now I need to hurry and try to get some of that stuff done......before all the guests come over. Guests!? Oh great! Them too!

BLAH FIVE:
You remember all that hard work all summer long on the yard? And the shrubs? And the roses? And the edging? It is all brown! Enough said.

BLAH SIX:
Along with those lists for the end of the year comes the fiscal year's end. So either a bad year and great we owe taxes still. Or we had a great year and oh yeah, we still owe taxes. It is bad enough that we had to consume all our time this year trying to save money to make ends meet and really dig into how we could get new clients, new projects, new opportunities but now Uncle Sam wants to take his share. Small Business......I don't remember this uncle ever coming to give me any help? Or never mind.....no sense in complaining about this one. Death and Taxes. Need I say more?

BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH
So after thinking on these things that seem to drag me down I had to put a spin on it to appreciate what this time does offer:
It is great to see the change in seasons. I am sure I would (eventually) get bored with nice warm weather. Thankfully I don't catch colds very easy....very thankful. The holidays are fun. Time together, time off, taking time.....we have so little of it. New traditions. I look forward to them. I have new tools to take care of the honey due list. Little by little it will get done. No worries. I brought some of my great plants inside to avoid the cold. That is nice! Taxes? Well, at least we did have a great year. It is nice to be able to have a job, a home, great employees, a car and go out to eat every now and again.

BLAH-vember? Maybe not so blah after all.
Have a great time this season my friends and don't forget to enjoy every moment you have. It is better to focus on the positive than to dwell on the negative. Share how you overcome your blah moments.

Eugene Thompson
ET This I Believe

0 comments:

Post a Comment