Monday, November 2, 2015

9-11


For the last few years.....honestly I cannot remember how long I've noticed this.....every time I look at the clock I have seen 9:11. It immediately recalls the tragedy on September 11, 2001. First let me begin by saying that I'm writing this with all due respect for those that lost their lives and sacrificed much during this horrific event. My writing this is not meant to detract or take lightly from those that have suffered. I mearly want to relate what I have experienced regarding......I'm going to call it phenomenon.

Why a phenomenon? What else can it be? It happened so many times and I wasn't sitting there waiting for it to happen. It just always occurred. Maybe my conscience was trying to tell me something? Actually that was what I was worried about. All I could think of was tragedy. Was something in my life about to happen that was devastating? Was something looming over my future? I had no clue but it was getting a bit eerie. My wife thought I was crazy. It was all in my head. Yeah! I know! It is in my head but it kept popping up!
So finally I began trying to take a picture of the various times that I saw 9-11 so my wife would believe me. It wasn't like I was prepared to take a snap shot as I wasn't looking for it. I missed many of them because it quickly flipped to 9:12 before I got the camera or phone out. It was on my phone, on my alarm clock beside the bed, on my phone at the office, on the tv, on the clock on the stove. Over and over. Of course I look at my phone often so it makes sense but I still thought it was weird. 
So this last week I finally came to what might have been the answer. After several years of worrying about an impending tragedy......it could be something entirely different. Like......a great day! Like something new and fresh! Like a crazy new adventure beginning.....maybe! Possibly! What would be the odds?
For months I had been working on the procurement of another architecture firm in Richmond VA. Little did l know how much time and effort it would take. Offers and counteroffers. Exceptions and inclusions. Agreements and exhibits. It was endless. Initially we had established the end of July would be our closing date. Great we were all set. Unfortunately that was not the case. More paperwork back and forth. Some things we couldn't complete until the other firm provided us with answers and information.
So we pushed on......until the end of August. I drew the line in the sand.....the last day of August......no more! After all my bank was pushing me to close as well......it couldn't go on forever. Or could it? 
All parties agreed to September 4th......however my attorney, who had done many of these, had his doubts. He said there was just too much paperwork to push through. We still needed some, information from their attorney, accountant, landlord.....on and on. Once we had it, we had to incorporate into our agreements......and then the bank had to do its underwriting. Oh this was crazy!
So we set the fall back date in case the 4th didn't work.......yep, you guessed it.....Septemebr 11th 2015......9/11......no way! I asked the banker and attorney are you sure you want me to close on that day? However I really began to think.....what if this is what I have been waiting for? What if this was the reason for all these signs appearing? 
Who knows! But that was the day. I looked at it as a great opportunity....a great day.....a great adventure on a day that most remember the tragedy. I now will always approach 9/11 as a pretty awesome event in my personal and professional career. Of course I'll remember the sacrifice others gave first, but then after that, I can smile with recognition that this day was rememberable for all the perfect reasons.
Crazy I know! Now let's see if I still see the 9:11 on the clock all the time.
Have a great day my fellows TIBs. Remember your loved ones and hug them daily. Remember your blessings and be thankful for them daily. Remember what others have given so that you can receive a reward.
 
Eugene Thompson
ET This I Believe


0 comments:

Post a Comment