Sunday, November 11, 2012

My Birthday Gift

Getting older isn't always the most exciting thing...unless you are young then it is great.  Once you get past a certain age you really don't want to celebrate birthdays anymore. Like not having a birthday party will prevent you from aging. However getting older is better than the alternative!

I can honestly tell you that last couple of birthdays that I have had were very much unwanted. I was certainly feeling old and did not appreciate it at all. Yesterday I turned 47....almost a half a century, almost five decades....anyway you look at it, it is just a number. It is what you feel like and what you think about in your mind. If you mentally think of yourself as old, then you are.

This year I have taken some serious steps to improve my health and it has all started with losing some weight.  To date I have lost 41 pounds.  Yes I go up and down but not by much. I started running again, something I am not really that great at.  However I have been plugging away at the miles and slowly working my way up the miles.  My half marathon I did was over 4 years ago.  So far I have only worked back up to 10 miles. Yesterday I gave myself a birthday present. 11.4 miles......okay I was actually pushing for the half marathon distance of 13.1 but honestly I was dragging a bit. Regardless I am beating my goals I established for myself at the beginning of the year. I will certainly have the 13.1 distance down before January.

My family got me the perfect gifts of winter running gear....I hate the cold.  But I am determined to keep running all winter long.  Thanks to my family and thanks to all those who have been reading my blog posts and facebook posts encouraging me along the path. I plan on DOMINATING old age!

Stay healthy my friends!
ET This I Believe

0 comments:

Post a Comment