Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Wineglass Marathon - #8

Here we go! Beginning the second half of my 2015 challenge. If you haven't been following me and don't know my crazy goals this year well here it is. Last year first time running a marathon and I did a total of 6. After knowing exactly what this old man could accomplish.....I raised the bar. I decided to push for a total of 12-14 marathons in order to raise funds and bring awareness about DIABETES. Yes I have it and many of my family members have it too. My parents had suffered from it too.

So here I am in Corning NY getting ready for yet another one. I feel like a pro at these now. Not really. I know what I am doing but there is never a marathon that when I finish I say I feel GREAT! It just doesn't happen. It is a huge physical challenge and certainly drains one of every last bit of strength. 

My wife and I left Virginia Beach in the downpour of the impending Hurricane Joaquin and drove 8+ hours up here. Heavy rains the better part of the drive but a great time talking the entire trip without the radio on one time. I thought that was impressive.....for me. We both are always running at full speed......not actually....just life....that times like these are perfect to take advantage of......so we did!

We arrived at Corning, checked into the hotel.....fantastic place to hang out the next few days and they were very pet friendly. Once we got all of our stuff, we went for a quick bit to eat at The Gaffer. I got my early carb load....something I don't often do. It was nice and peaceful.



The next morning we got up and walked to the 5K starting point. I decided to push a little since I hadn't run much this last month. I worried the marathon would be harder than I hoped. It was rainy and blah but we both enjoyed the run and meeting new people. That is the best part. I did a quick spent to the finish line and finished 141 out of 800, not bad for really not pushing it. We went back, cleaned up and then headed out to another place called the Foot + Head. Great lunch. Grocery store stop and then hung out at the hotel the rest of the evening to prepare and rest for the evening.





Race morning always comes early but we were up and prepared. My wife running the half and I the full made us part ways early to grab the separate buses to the respective starting lines. She meet some new friends from the HAMPTON roads area that were also crazy runners. It's good to find like company.

Well just as I expected, I felt really good the first 13....that is about all I've maxed on the last few months. After that it was all uphill......okay actually it was downhill but it felt like I was running uphill. No wind, no push. I just did what I could do. I always have these crazy ideas that I'll get a marathon time of under five hours but I just don't have it in me yet. I suppose I should train better.....train with more focus on one race rather than a ton of them.

Regardless I plugged along, made a new friend Alisha as we ran together the last four miles pushing each other. Her first marathon. Good for her! Not much left for a huge sprint at the end but I did it. Marathon number 8 is in the record books as completed. 

We went back downtown after cleaning up to grab a bite to eat and went to a nice local hangout called 54. A few other racers, one who finished first in his age class were all hanging out. They were a bunch of great guys. Certainly much faster than us...lol. Most people are! Regardless a fun time chatting.

On to the next one in two weeks as we recover from this race and set our mind for the higher altitude of Denver. It will be my fifth Rock N Roll sponsored run this year. I'm looking forward to an easier time of it......who am I kidding?



Have a fun run my friends! See you at the next finish line!

Eugene Thompson
ET This I Believe
Run Eugene Run

0 comments:

Post a Comment