Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Rock n Roll Denver - The Character Building Marathon

Well shall we just say that the morning started off beautiful....and then it went downhill from there. And I don't mean like terrain downhill. It was a struggle the entire run for me. I won't call it a failure, just a character building race.

The first 8 miles was fine. They dropped us off (shuttled) to what seemed like forever outside of town. On the bus I met Alan who was from California visiting family. Apparently he did well. I didn't see him the entire race. We had also met a couple at the previous afternoon movies. They were local runners. We had a nice chat. 

Back to the race, as they pulled the bus up to Adams County Park, the sun was just peaking over the skyline. I thought that was incredible. And then it peaked up a little more with an amazing orange reflection in the water beneath. And then once again as it rose a little higher it seemed as if the sky just burst into and explosion. Truly amazing. If anything about running these races I get to see some amazing sites. This was the best. 

And then I started running. 

The trail was along the river. Apparently the city wasn't in too much agreement to shut down the streets. So river trail path it was. Not a lot of spectators. Not a lot of shade. However there was a lot of sun at that altitude. I think the altitude hit me harder than expected. That and the 26.2 miles. I didn't give enough respect to either. Marathon number 9 or not I was feeling the pain. 

After mike 8 my hamstring began giving me issues. It became achy although it didn't hinder me much. I tried eating early on in this race so I could begin my fueling early. Whether it helped or not is still unknown. All the other effects hit hard on this race day. I saw my time slip away into one of my worst times ever. I had no control. 

My mind isn't staying focused at all. I have doubt, I have feelings of wanting to quit. Why am I doing this anyway? What is the purpose? What does it matter? I fight my fight of mental fatigue. This is crazy. Way too early to be feeling this way. What went wrong?

At mile 17 I had my blood sugar tested and was at 123. Not bad considering. Back to running. 

Mile 18.
Mile 19. 
Mile 20. Yeah. Dang I'm sucking. I know right now that there is no way I'm going to finish under 6 hours. Not at this pace. I post a Facebook picture. I suck!

Well that's how I feel. I don't feel like I gave it my best. Regardless I press on passing other turtles. This isn't really motivating either. They are hurting too. Mile 21 is a medical tent. A couple of guys lying down on cots. I so want to join them. "Hey dudes! How's it going?"  I don't. I push on. Define push. It's more of a shuffle. This feels like my first run or something. 

People are falling out right and left. Throwing up along the side. Great! That's helping my stomach so much. The heat is extreme at this altitude. 72 doesn't seem hot. But hang out in it for 6 hours running and then tell me that. 

Mile 22. 
Mile 23. Met a girl from Portland doing her first marathon. We both shuffle along together for a few. 

Mile 24. Just two more. I see people I've seen along the way where I pass them, they pass me and then we do it all over again. Several times. After the race one lady came up to me (we never spoke on the course) she wanted to thank me for helping her push on. Passing back and forth helped her. Go figure. Sucking today actually helped someone else. 

Mile 25. We enter city pavement with buildings. Dang it. I have to run across intersections. The police are holding up traffic for me. I can't walk through them. They encourage me giving me a countdown. I need that. 

Mile 26 and around the corner I come. .2 Point FREAKIN TWO as my shirt says. I got a lot of compliments on my shirt during this run. Chatted with many even if it was only a few words. My shirt was caked in salt. My stomach turning upside down. My hamstring now starting to tighten up. I run. I run for those last point 2 freakin miles.
 
The finish line isn't a glorious crossing other than a grand relief. I'm finished. I'm done. I won. If you want to call it that. I still suck. But hey, that's just me. Really tired. Don't want to look at my time. I know. 

Blood sugar tested once more. 69. Better get something. This one took a lot out of me. Not really hungry. Too tired to eat. I get my finisher jacket. And then I get my Heavy Metal #5 for completing five Rock n Roll races. Dang they are heavy on my neck. 

Call Uber. Go home. I stink. No really! I stink really bad. Foul smelling. Poor Uber driver. Oh well. 

Another race completed. Another finish. Another medal, race bib and tshirt. I'm ready for home. 3:15 comes early tomorrow morning to catch the flight home. 

Thanks to all of those racers that chatted. New friends. Thanks to the volunteers. The supporters. Thanks to the emergency crews watching over us. But thank you Lord for walking me through this. In a week I will forget the pain. But I'll never forget that sunrise. Never. 

Run Eugene Run
Eugene Thompson

Don't Quit. You're already in pain. You're already hurt. Get a reward from it. 

Have a Fun Run. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment