Saturday, January 12, 2013

Butterfly Kisses

Never thought all those years ago that my baby girl would ever grow up and get married. Well of course I knew there was a chance that she wouldn't stay 4 years old forever. Lol. I can remember all those years ago at the hospital when she arrived. I was a bit surprised because after 3 boys I just expected another boy. I guess he fooled me! It was Sunday afternoon in Pennsylvania. Actually it was Easter Sunday and we had (as we always did) had gone to church that morning. We went back home that afternoon to our countryside one room school house for a lunch consisting of a bunch of colored hard boiled eggs. The boys loved them.

I think my wife had maybe a few too many eggs because she wasn't feeling so good. But was it the eggs or......we better head into the hospital just in case because I don't want to deliver this baby by myself out here in the country. So off we went. We were at the hospital for only a short time before our daughter was born. Probably the easiest delivery my wife had out of all the kids. Probably the only time my daughter made it easy on us as parents too. Lol. I think daughters are like that. She came in time for us to call the church and announce it before evening services. They all cheered because we got our little girl after all those boys. She made her debut one week later at church.

Not only was she the hit with all of our friends but she was pretty exciting to brothers. They loved their new sissy....for a while at least. After all....she was a girl! They did their best over the years to toughen her up but she has always been daddy's little girl.

Memorable moments were many. Like the time when all the brothers got a buzz cut for the summer and she didn't understand why she couldn't have one too. Yep she tried. Her self performed hair cut broke her mommy's heart.

Mommy got to dress her in a lot of dresses over the years to make her cute however I am not sure that was always her desire. Her brothers helped with her becoming a Tom boy. However before that took I got the opportunity to coach her at age 5 as well as her brother at age 6 on the PeeWee T-ball team. Her brother followed right along with their older brothers and took ever moment of the sporting moment as a serious challenge. No time for fun. It was about winning. Okay so maybe dad taught them that as well. So now you know where they all got it from. However at that time my daughter thought that fashion was to be the first priority in sports. Daddy broke her heart when I wouldn't allow her to wear her cowgirl boots and denim shirt to practice. She didn't see the problem since she still had on her jersey and hat. Big tears.

She tried cheer leading for a few seasons for her brothers team but that just didn't have the right competitive (or should I say combative spirit.) Horseback riding, Gymnastics both not enough grit.

Or how about the time when daddy had to step in and help coach beginning girls basketball at age 7. Dad always coached the boys in football so little girls was not his thing. But they needed him as an assistant. So he helped. Being so sweetie sweet is not my thing but I did the best I could when talking to all the girls. However when the head coach wasn't there I made them all run drills and PR. In a game, I took my little girl to one side where no body else could hear and told in somewhat a gruff voice, "take it to the basket! Drive down and shoot! Be aggressive! Quit throwing those lollipop passes to the other players." And that was the start to a wonderful dominating basketball career through high school.

Daddy turned her down when asked to play flag football with the boys even though there were a few other girls that did.

Injuries....same thing I told her I told the boys...."You're okay, Walk it off!"

Softball was great as well. A bit aggressive and always fun to watch. She did well getting down and dirty playing pitcher, in field (mostly first base) and catcher. I think she secretly liked catcher the most because she could wear all the gear mostly resembling football pads.

Sending her out into the world wasn't ever a great idea. I would prefer to keep her close beside me a never leave. Always under my protection. Always for safe keeping. Boys will never be good enough. I think her three brothers probably feel the same. That is just the way it is in our family. I should have designed that castle tower on the house and add the mote around the house. I would have been a good medieval times. Alas that is not how we know it will inevitably work out. She has found that boy. That boy that makes her happy. That boy that makes her smile so big. That boy that makes her heart swell.

So here we are. The big day has arrived and we are preparing for the final pieces of this celebration. For the last few months daddy here has helped with the color scheme (after all, I do know colors), helped with the dress (even did a sketch of what we should look for), decorations, invitations, guiding towards a great photographer friend, guiding towards a great floral friend, (dad knows people) a tweak here a tweak there but all in all it is her day. Something for her to remember for the rest of her life.

Last night we had the rehearsal walk through at the church and realizing I have to walk her down that aisle. It seems like a long aisle but I know it will be only a short walk to where I place her hand in his. I know I am not losing a daughter but gaining a son. Life changes. And this is part of life. I have always hoped that our children find someone that they will enjoy the rest of their life with and will be their best friend. I believe they all have.

Butterfly Kisses. This is our song. Okay dad.....hold on. No tears. You're okay, walk it off!

Love you forever little girl!



0 comments:

Post a Comment