Sunday, February 27, 2011

Christmas Budget

Yep, it isn't even March yet and I am already thinking about Christmas. Well I do have to plan! Maybe a bit overkill, but it is what it is.  I guess it really started me thinking because of all the "left-over" gifts that are still around this house.  Things that were never opened, things that were never worn....still hanging in the closet. Thing that never fit but weren't even returned. Christmas decorations that never got hung up.  Maybe all of the SPENDING was just really too much. I mean, there is no sense in being wasteful.....right?

I can say, this isn't an easy subject for me, because I love Christmas.  I have always loved buying and sharing and watching everyone get excited.  I really tried this year (even though we couldn't all be together) to be very excited....not depressed, not an ol humbug. Not sure i was successful.  Over the last few years it has been more and more difficult to figure out what everyone wants, much less needs.  That doesn't make shopping any fun.  So much hunting for just the right gift but anymore it is a unrewarding task. The other issue is that the kids have now grown up and they 1) gifts are way more expensive 2) never can find their right size 3) not really sure of their likes and dislikes 4) they are not always home for the holidays anymore 5) I don't have that much money to spend 6) They don't have that much money to spend.....so.....

I just think is will be a thankless task that will just end in a bunch of money being spent.....after all, it wont be long before we will just be the grandparents house that the kids visit at some point of the day during the holidays. Maybe it is better to make the transition early and limit every one's spending.  $10 a gift per person! They will have to be creative (if they care) or at least wont matter if ten bucks is wasted. Even so, once grand kids start coming along, it means more presents.

The house is quiet these days.  I am sure that the holidays will soon follow this trend. Rather quiet than hurting someones feeling by not sharing, not caring, not giving, not having the holiday spirit, not to worry.....

Sorry this was such a blah post.....just the mood I am in these days.

0 comments:

Post a Comment